Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Trench Journal- Battle Orders

Day 40 August 5, 1914



Today one of the other Companies managed to punch a hole in the French's defense by using gas. It's a terrible sight; watching a friend writhe and cough after inhaling even the tiniest amount of mustard or chlorine gas. Terror grips your heart as you see that dull, yellow cloud drifting towards you. You only have moments to put on your mask before it reaches you and if you haven't...

However, it is effective against our enemies, who cause us such discomfort bombarding us all day long, and if it helps us end this war than so be it. When I asked my Sergeant about the gas he told me that there are three that we use; chlorine, which causes internal bleeding and violent coughing, phosgene, which doesn't cause the violent coughing so it is inhaled more but is just as deadly as chlorine, and mustard gas, which caused blistering inside and outside the skin. "The mustard gas," he warned, "is the most deadly. Avoid it at all costs. It is nearly odorless and remains in the soil for weeks." I now carry my gas mask with me at all times. I've seen the soldiers at the dressing station who have inhaled the poison. They lay there coughing blood with blistering skin, crying in pain. It isn't pretty and I avoid the dressing station as much as I can.

No comments: